This piece was transcribed from a conversation between Justice Sonia Sotomayor and Professor Robert A. Stein held at the University of Minnesota Law School on October 17, 2016. Justice Sotomayor shares how her early life experiences, such as being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, shaped her worldview. She discusses the course of her legal career and describes her sometimes contentious but always friendly relationships with the other Justices. She further discusses the role models who inspired her, and offers reflections on becoming a role model herself. Finally, she answers audience questions on topics ranging from the role of empathy in the courtroom to the role of young people in political discourse.
Volume 101 - Issue 6
- Note: Stranger than Science Fiction: The Rise of A.I. Interrogation in the Dawn of Autonomous Robots and the Need for an Additional Protocol to the U.N. Convention Against Torture
- SIRI-OUSLY 2.0: What Artificial Intelligence Reveals About the First Amendment
- The Consequences of Disparate Policing: Evaluating Stop and Frisk as a Modality of Urban Policing
- Regulating Cumulative Risk
- Toward a Critical Race Theory of Evidence
© 2011-2016 Minnesota Law Review. All Rights Reserved.